Hey there! So, you’ve lost your AirPods case? Don’t worry; we’ve all been there. Let me walk you through how to find it without any stress.
Using the ‘Play Sound’ & ‘Find Nearby’ Features
See, your AirPods case on its own can’t play any sounds because it doesn’t have any speakers. But if your case is open and has at least one AirPod in it, we can use the Find My app to make the AirPod sing a little tune!
For those with the fancy AirPods Pro 2, guess what? You can make the case itself play a sound, even if there are no AirPods inside. Neat, huh?
Let’s Find that Case!
- Open the Find My app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Devices.
- Click on your AirPods’ name.
- If you have AirPods Pro 2, pick Case from the options you see. Otherwise, just go to the next step.
- Tap Play Sound. Listen closely and follow the sound to find your case!
- Can’t find it still? No worries! Turn off the sound and choose Find Nearby.
- Your screen will show you some hints, like if you’re getting closer or farther away. Walk around and keep an eye on those clues.
Using the ‘Directions’ Feature
This is great when you think your AirPods case is not close by.
Why Does Open or Closed Case Matter?
- Open case: If your case is open with an AirPod inside, it’ll send a signal and you’ll see it online. You’ll get all the cool tracking features.
- Closed case: Your AirPods get into sleep mode. You’ll only see the last spot they were before dozing off. Also, you can’t use Play Sound or Find Nearby now.
Let’s Get Directions!
- Open the Find My app.
- Click on Devices.
- Tap on your AirPods’ name. You’ll see a map with their last known location.
- Hit the Directions icon, and it’ll show you how to get there.
Simple Steps to Find Your AirPods Case with ‘Lost Mode
Misplaced your AirPods case again? Don’t sweat it! Let me show you a nifty feature called “Lost Mode” that might help. Imagine this: someone finds your AirPods case, and ta-da! your contact info magically appears on their phone. Sounds cool, right? Let’s dive in!
Why ‘Lost Mode’ is Awesome!
Starting from iOS 15, Apple added this cool feature to help folks like us. If someone stumbles upon your lost AirPods and tries to connect to them, your message will pop up on their iPhone. And guess what? You’ll get to know where your AirPods are at that moment!
But here’s a small catch: this magic trick only works if you’ve got at least one AirPod chilling inside the lost case.
And this is super useful, especially if you’ve dropped your AirPods in a busy place like a park or mall. While you can’t really block someone from using your AirPods, you can still keep tabs on them if another person picks them up.
Turn On ‘Lost Mode’ in a Jiffy:
- Go to the Find My App: Open the app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Pick your AirPods: Tap on Devices, then select your AirPods that are cozied up in the missing case.
- Activate ‘Lost Mode’: Under the ‘Mark As Lost’ option, tap Activate.
- Continue On: Simply tap Continue.
- Leave Your Details (this part’s optional, but handy!): Add a phone number or email. This way, the person who finds your AirPods can ring you up or drop you a message.
- Turn It On: Tap Activate one more time, and boom! ‘Lost Mode’ is on.
Replacing Your Lost AirPods Case
First things first: if you have any AirPods version except the AirPods Pro (2nd generation), you can’t find the case on its own. So, if the case is gone, you might need to get a new one.
Grabbing a New Official Apple Case
You should know that AppleCare+ doesn’t cover lost or stolen AirPods and their cases. So, Apple won’t replace it for free. But, you can buy a new case from Apple! It might cost you between $59-$99, depending on the kind you choose: MagSafe or Lightning.
Waiting for a delivery? Usually, your new AirPods case will arrive in about a week. In the meantime, if your AirPods still have some battery left, you can use them just fine without the case.
Here’s some silver lining: when you get a case from Apple, you also get a warranty! This covers your new case for 90 days or for the remaining time of your original Apple warranty, whichever lasts longer.
Pairing Your AirPods with the New Case
Got your shiny new case? Yay! But before your AirPods can move into their new home, you’ll need to introduce them to each other.
Here’s How to Do It:
- Forget the Old: On your iPhone or iPad, head to Settings, then Bluetooth. Find your AirPods on the list and tap the “i” next to them. Then tap Forget This Device. Confirm by tapping again.
- Prepare the New Case: Pop both of your AirPods into your new case. Open the case and look for an amber light.
- Button Time: At the back of your new case, there’s a little setup button. Hold it down for a bit. When the status light flashes white, you’re on the right track!
- Final Connection: With the case (and AirPods inside) open, hold it close to your iPhone or iPad. You should see a cool animation popping up. When it does, tap Connect.
Simple Tips to Keep Your AirPods Close and Safe
If you’re like me, you’ve probably misplaced your AirPods case once or twice. Let’s keep that case safe, shall we? Here are some simple yet effective ways to ensure you don’t lose your precious AirPods. Let’s dive right in!
1. Strap Them Up with a Case Cover
AirPods Case Cover with Anti-lost Straps: Start simple. Grab a case cover with straps. It’s like a cozy jacket for your AirPods. These covers are usually made from soft silicone that cushions your case. Plus, they come with a keychain. You can clip it to your bag, belt loop, or keys. And guess what? They’re budget-friendly!
2. Two Birds, One Stone: AirPods and AirTag Case Combo
You know the nifty little AirTag Apple released in 2024? Some geniuses out there made a combo case for both your AirPods and an AirTag. This means while your AirPods are snuggled in their case, an AirTag is right there to help you track them.
The AirTag uses Apple’s wide network to help you find your lost items. Plus, if it’s nearby, it can play a sound to guide you.
A little heads up: In some places, you can’t use the precise tracking of AirTags. So, check if it’s available where you live.
3. Team Up with Tile
Tile Trackers: Before AirTags, Tile was the big name for tracking things. These tiny trackers can be attached to your AirPods case.
If you lose them, use the Tile app (it’s friendly with Android and Apple devices) to help find your AirPods.
As you can see, it’s not so easy to lose your AirPod case with the right countermeasures in place. But, at least now you can have confidence enjoying your AirPods and bringing their case anywhere you go without the fear of losing them. And even if they get stolen, you’ll know where and how to start looking.
Did we miss anything? What worked for you? Share your lost and found stories of AirPods with us if it ever happened to you.